Tidewater Community College’s Visual Arts Center will host the invitational exhibition “The Secret Life of Birds” from Sept. 13 through Oct. 27.
The opening reception is Sept. 12 at 6:30 p.m.
Galleries and events are free and open to the public.
The nine artists who will participate in this group exhibition are:
- Mark Chatterley of Williamston, Michigan,
- Betsy DiJulio, Corinne Lilyard-Mitchell, and Eloise Shelton-Mayo, all from Virginia Beach
- Dianne Hottenstein of Chesapeake
- Judith Peck of Washington, D.C.
- Trish Pfeifer of Norfolk
- Tom Siegmund of Carrsville, Virginia
- Tanja Softić of Richmond.
DiJulio, Lilyard-Mitchell, Shelton-Mayo, Hottenstein and Siegmund are faculty members at the Visual Arts Center.
Two- and three-dimensional works range in scale from Peck’s miniature paintings on silver leaf to Softić’s panoramic mixed media drawings on paper. Additional media include photography, encaustic and clay.
The exhibition reflects a bird theme. Through their respective approaches, each of the artists continues the tradition of using bird imagery as the rich and layered icons depicted throughout art history.
The VAC is located at 340 High St., in Olde Towne, Portsmouth.
For information, call Shelley Brooks at 757-822-1878.