The TCC Educational Foundation announced its TCC Women’s Center STEM Promise Program last month, which is designed to increase the number of women and minority students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics – known as the STEM disciplines.
The deadline to apply for the scholarship for the 2017-18 academic year is June 15. Fall classes begin Aug. 21.
The program prepares students to enter the workforce or transfer to a four-year school. TCC has guaranteed transfer agreements with universities including Old Dominion, Virginia Tech, George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth and Regent.
To be eligible, a student must
- be a candidate for in-state tuition;
- have a high school GPA of 3.5 or higher; and
- place into College Composition and College Algebra or higher.
Scholarship recipients must enroll as full-time students in one of the following programs:
- Associate of Science in Engineering
- Associate of Science with a Specialization in Computer Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Civil Engineering Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Electronics Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology
Transfer students may be eligible for a Two-Year Transfer Grant from Virginia’s Community Colleges, which provides up to $3,000 per year to STEM students who transfer to particular Virginia colleges.
As many as 10 students will receive inaugural scholarships from the STEM Promise Program. Each will receive special academic advising and support.
Anyone interested in donating to support the program should contact James Toscano, executive director of the TCC Educational Foundation, at 757-822-1015 or firstname.lastname@example.org.