High school seniors, adult learners and military-related students who want to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) can apply to Tidewater Community College for a scholarship that pays four semesters of tuition and fees in full.
The TCC Women’s Center STEM Promise Program will award 20 scholarships for the 2020-21 academic year. Recipients will graduate ready to enter a career or to transfer to a four-year college to pursue a bachelor’s degree.
“Demand for workers with skills in higher-paying STEM fields is expected to continue to outpace demand for non-STEM workers over the next decade,” said program coordinator Jaedda Hall. “This program is designed to create a larger and more diverse STEM workforce pipeline for our local area and beyond.”
STEM Promise Program scholars benefit from TCC’s smaller class sizes, specialized support from advisors and STEM career exploration and mentoring from the college’s Women’s Center.
To be eligible a student must:
- qualify for in-state tuition;
- have a high school GPA of 3.5 or higher;
- place into College Composition (English 111) and Precalculus (Math 161) or higher;
- have no more than 24 TCC credits;
Scholarship recipients must enroll as full-time students in one of the following TCC programs:
- Associate of Science in Engineering
- Associate of Science in Computer Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Civil Engineering Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Electronics Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology
These associate degrees transfer to bachelor’s programs at four-year institutions. Graduates may be eligible for a Two-Year Transfer Grant from Virginia’s Community Colleges, which provides up to $3,000 annually for STEM students who complete their final two years at select universities in the Commonwealth.
Although the scholarship is aimed at women and minorities, anyone can apply. The deadline is March 1, 2020.
For more information, contact the TCC Enrollment Team at 757-822-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.